If you are looking for an effective and secure way to control access to your facility, an electric strike for a metal door might be the solution you need. An electric strike is an electrical device that replaces a traditional mechanical strike plate on a metal door frame, allowing for keyless entry and exit by unlocking the door when a signal is received from an access control system.
What is an Electric Strike for Metal Door?
An electric strike is a device that locks and unlocks doors in a metal door frame. It works in conjunction with an access control system, such as a keypad or card reader, to regulate entry and exit through a door. Once the access control system receives the proper signal, the electric strike releases the lock on the door, making it possible to open without using a key.
How Does an Electric Strike Work?
Electric strikes are designed to work with various access control systems, including keypads, card readers, and biometric scanners. When a person enters the correct code, swipes their card, or scans their fingerprint, the access control system sends a signal to the electric strike. The electric strike then releases the lock on the door, allowing the person to push it open.
Electric strikes come in two main types: fail-secure and fail-safe. Fail-secure electric strikes are locked when power is removed, while fail-safe electric strikes are unlocked when power is removed. The type of electric strike you choose will depend on your security needs.
Benefits of Electric Strikes for Metal Doors
There are many benefits to using electric strikes for metal doors. Here are just a few:
- Keyless Entry: With an electric strike, there is no need for keys, so you can avoid the cost and inconvenience of lost or stolen keys.
- Enhanced Security: Electric strikes provide a higher level of security than traditional mechanical locks, as they can be integrated with an access control system, which allows you to control who enters and exits your facility.
- Easy Integration: Electric strikes can be easily integrated with your existing access control system, making installation quick and easy.
- Flexibility: Electric strikes can be used on various doors, including metal doors with mortise locks, cylindrical locks, and rim locks.
Types of Electric Strikes
There are several types of electric strikes available on the market, including:
- Rim Electric Strikes: Rim electric strikes are designed to work with rim locks commonly used on metal doors.
- Mortise Electric Strikes: Mortise electric strikes are designed to work with mortise locks commonly used on metal doors.
- Surface-mounted Electric Strikes: Surface-mounted electric strikes are designed to work with surface-mounted locks, commonly used on glass doors or doors with aluminium frames.
Choosing the Right Electric Strike for Your Metal Door
When choosing an electric strike for your metal door, several factors must be considered. These include the size and strength of the strike, the type of metal door, the level of security required, and the type of access control system used.
The size and strength of the electric strike will depend on the size and weight of your metal door. For heavy-duty doors, a stronger strike will be required to withstand the door’s weight.
The type of metal door is also an essential factor to consider when choosing an electric strike. Doors made from different materials may require different types of electric strikes.
The level of security required will also play a role in choosing the right electric strike. For example, a high-security area will require a fail-secure electric strike to prevent unauthorized access.
Installation of Electric Strike for Metal Door Frame
Installing an electric strike requires some basic electrical and mechanical knowledge. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is recommended that you hire a professional locksmith or electrician to install the electric strike for you.
To install an electric strike on a metal door frame, follow these steps:
- Choose the right electric strike: Different types of electric strikes are available on the market, each with its own specifications. Make sure to choose an electric strike compatible with your metal door frame.
- Mark the position: Mark the position where the electric strike will be installed on the metal door frame. Use a measuring tape to ensure that the position is accurate.
- Drill holes: Drill the holes on the metal door frame to install the electric strike. Make sure to use a drill bit that is suitable for metal.
- Install the electric strike: Securely attach the electric strike to the metal door frame using screws. Make sure that the electric strike is aligned properly with the door lock.
- Connect the wires: Connect the wires from the electric strike to the access control system. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure that the wiring is done correctly.
- Test the electric strike: Test the electric strike to ensure it works properly. Try unlocking the door using the access control system to ensure the electric strike functions as expected.
Maintenance of Electric Strikes
Electric strikes require minimal maintenance. However, it is recommended that you perform the following tasks regularly:
- Keep the electric strike clean and free from dirt and debris.
- Check the wiring and connections regularly to ensure that they are secure.
- Test the electric strike periodically to ensure that it is functioning correctly.
- Lubricate the moving parts of the electric strike with a dry lubricant, such as graphite powder, to prevent rust and ensure smooth operation.
Electric Strike for Door FAQs
If you are considering installing an electric strike for your door, you may have questions about how they work and what to look for. Here are some frequently asked questions about electric strikes for doors:
What is an electric strike?
An electric strike is an electro-mechanical locking device that can be installed on a door frame. It is designed to work with an access control system, such as a keypad or card reader, to control entry and exit through a door.
What types of doors can electric strikes be used on?
Electric strikes can be used on various doors, including metal, wood, and glass doors. They can also be used on doors with mortise, cylindrical, and rim locks.
What types of access control systems can electric strikes be used with?
Electric strikes can be used with access control systems, including keypads, card readers, and biometric scanners.
What are the benefits of using an electric strike?
Some benefits of using an electric strike include keyless entry, enhanced security, easy integration with existing access control systems, and flexibility in the types of doors they can use.
What types of electric strikes are available?
Several types of electric strikes are available on the market, including rim electric strikes, mortise electric strikes, and surface-mounted electric strikes.
How are electric strikes installed?
Installing an electric strike requires some basic electrical and mechanical knowledge. The existing mechanical strike plate on the door frame is removed, and the electric strike is installed in the exact location. The wires from the electric strike are then run to the access control system.
How do I maintain my electric strike?
Electric strikes require minimal maintenance. You should keep them clean and free from dirt and debris, check the wiring and connections regularly, test the electric strike periodically, and lubricate the moving parts with a dry lubricant such as graphite powder.
What is the difference between a fail-secure and a fail-safe electric strike?
It’s worth noting that electric strikes come in two types: fail-secure and fail-safe. Fail-secure strikes remain locked even when power is turned off, while fail-safe strikes become unlocked once the power is off. The type of electric strike you choose will depend on your security needs.
Are electric strikes secure?
Electric strikes provide a higher level of security than traditional mechanical locks, as they can be integrated with an access control system, which allows you to control who enters and exits your facility. However, choosing a high-quality, reliable electric strike and following proper installation and maintenance procedures to ensure maximum security is essential.
Can I install an electric strike myself?
You can install an electric strike yourself if you have the necessary electrical and mechanical knowledge. For optimal safety and to prevent any potential hazards, it is highly recommended that you enlist the services of a professional locksmith or electrician to ensure proper installation.
An electric strike for the metal door is an effective and secure way to control access to your facility. With its keyless entry and enhanced security features, an electric strike provides more control over who enters and exits your building. By choosing the right type of electric strike and following the proper installation and maintenance procedures, you can ensure that your electric strike provides reliable and secure access control for years to come. If you are considering an electric strike for your metal door, be sure to do your research and choose a high-quality, reliable product that meets your specific security needs.
|Veneer door design catalogue|